Sunday 31 May 2015

Herbs

I am growing herbs in my container garden. Currently growing I have;
mint
basil
parsley
dill
coriander

I use herbs in my cooking but I am looking into other ways to use herbs in the home. I have far more growing than we can eat,, especially the mint and parsley as they are almost a year old plants now so have really taken off.

Last night I saw that you can put herbs in your bath and that mint is a rejuvenating herb. As I have an abundance of mint I decided to cut some and place in my bath to see if it really did smell nice/ work.

I picked a small plastic tub of mint and popped it into my bath as it was running. I have to say I couldn't actually smell the mint once it was in the water. I wonder if you need a huge amount of the mint to make the bath smell?

What uses do you have for your herbs? Other than cooking with them what else can I use my herbs for?

7 comments:

  1. I make teas with mine. Mint tea is lovely. I use a bit of rosemary as well if we are poorly. James wong has good books with many uses

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm I tried mint tea but didn't like it much. Maybe I'll try again another day, possibly it'll be a grower but not convinced as I don't like other hot drinks.

      Delete
  2. I dry the less hardy ones to use in the winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do this too, just looking to see if there is something new to try whilst they are fresh :-)

      Delete
  3. If you buy a cheap shampoo/bubble bath you add some chopped mint. Leave to infuse a while (6 weeks ish) and strain.
    X x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This sounds good, I will have to give that a try next time i go to the supermarket, will add some to the list.

      Delete
  4. With herbs I generally just dry them to put in food out of season. I did once crystalise Angellica but my what a faff! and the amount of sugar used was awful. These days I buy it from Sainsburys! Well done for being adventurous though.

    ReplyDelete