Sunday 15 July 2012

Kent county show

Today we went to the Kent county show, it is something of a tradition which we have built up over the last few years. We love to go and watch the different displays with the animals, as well as have a chat with the many exhibitors who attend and learn more about their jobs and hobbies. Today we watched a little of a horse competition, we watched the farriers making horseshoes, a man using a lath to make something with wood, another man hand making a wooden spoon, chatted to a couple of people who explained to us how they use dogs to find missing people. I was absolutely fascinated by the statistics which show certain ages/ genders of people are likely to go a set way when they go missing for example one group will always go left when they come to an obstacle an other age group will go to somewhere where there is water. Facts like this fascinate me.

There is plenty there to occupy the children, as well as joining in with my discussions with various people the children also learnt how to make candles from beeswax sheets, they learnt about railway safety, about brownies/scouts and Dylan even had a virtual driving lesson.

We took food with us to eat to keep the costs down. We did sample various foods and drinks as we walked. I bought some cheeses which we particularly like. We had these when we got home for an alfresco tea.

Here are some of our pictures from the day, we all took a turn on the camera so they reflect the different things we all found interesting.

farriers busy at work

Dylan get me I like this car

A biology lesson occurred here

Can we have some for pets?

One of my fave pics- they were playing together, they seem to be bickering lots at the moment so was nice to see them happy together.

The finished candles.

Cheese!

Not from the show- but our Herman cake.


Something I learnt today, very serious and we all immediately agreed is wrong is that supermarkets are expecting dairy farmers to receive less money for their milk than the cost of production. On the list of supermarkets involved in this was asda, Morrison's and I was very shocked to see the coop! I always think of the coop as being ethical. I am now going to find somewhere else to purchase my milk. You can read more about this on the NFU website. The information I collected on this today urges us as consumers to write to the customer service department of your local supermarket voicing your concerns and ask how they are ensuring that producers are receiving a fair price for their products. I will be doing this- will you?


No comments:

Post a Comment