Sunday 16 October 2011

Parenting



I have done a lot of thinking the past few months about parenting and ways of doing this. These thoughts began when my Mum was diagnosed with lung cancer. We have not had the easiest of relationships but we get along OK.

Through talking with a childhood friend I have come to realise that as humans we seem to focus on negatives. I remember things which are not necessarily positive aspects of growing up. However talking to my friend has helped me to see there were plenty of good times too, my Mum used to do lots with us, I remember making pies at the dining table, going for walks/picnics, picking blackberries, playing board games, Mum trying to teach me to knit (something which rather frustrated her). There are lots of memories.

I can see how my childhood had influenced me and made me the person I am today. I still have a love of all those things. I have learnt from my Mum ways I want to do things, and naturally some ways I don't want to do things. I'm sure in 20 years time my children will say something very similar.

So I can honestly say I am devastated that my Mum lost her fight to cancer last Sunday. I am going to miss her, whether it is reminiscing about when I was young, moaning about her when I have the hump or phoning to ask her advice when I can't work out what a knitting pattern means.

My Mum makes 3 family members who have died in the past 11 months. So treasure your family, and enjoy everyday with them, you never know how long you have together.

No comments:

Post a Comment