Sunday 5 June 2011

Random recipe- eton mess



I stumbled across Dom's blog in my wanderings over cyber space this week. It's a fab blog packed with lots of different recipes. He has a little challenge going on over there; basically the idea is you take a dessert cookbook open it at a random page and cook that exact recipe. I don't have a recipe book completely designated to desserts, so I used the book I bought last which is this Jamie Oliver one. The recipe I opened it to was the Eton Mess one. I did have to make some adjustments to the recipe due to Stephanie's allergies and I wanted her to be able to join me in eating the dessert.
Jamie's ingredients:
400g Strawberries
1 heaped table spoon golden caster sugar
1 blood orange
2 teaspoons vanilla paste or extract
a splash of Pimms
250g low fat yoghurt or creme fraiche
pack of 8 meringue nests
a couple of sprigs or fresh mint.

I used:
strawberries
vanilla extract
splash of apple juice
low fat yoghurt
meringue nests.

As Stephanie is allergic to citrus fruits/citrus products I replaced the pims with apple juice and left out the orange. It tasted fab even without these.

So what you do is;
slice the strawberries and put them in a bowl.

sprinkle on a little sugar. Add the vanilla extract. Mash altogether with a fork.
Add a splash of apple juice and mix again.
crumble over some meringue nest, mix again.

At this point I put the desserts in the fridge. Just before serving I crumbled over some more meringue nests.

They were delicious.




No comments:

Post a Comment