Saturday 29 January 2011

Children can cook.

My children love to cook; always have. They love to come in the kitchen and help when I cook, they love to offer their suggestions of what to cook. Sometimes like today they go in the kitchen and cook and I don't go out until I am called. Usually just as whatever their master piece is, is cooked. They like me to check.

This is today's offering. It was very tasty.

I know many people will read this and think she lets the children cook on their own? My argument is they know how to cook, they know how to use the cooker safely as they have always helped me in the kitchen. I have gradually baked away while they are cooking so they can have more freedom. They know I am only in the next room and will shout if they need anything. 
Dylan is now 12 and has been able to cook a proper meal since he was 7. Stephanie is 4 and looks as if she is going to be able to do the same. I am proud of their ability to cook real food. It is something which is important it is a life skill. 

No comments:

Post a Comment